Saturday, May 5, 2012

Red Currant Muffins

I've mentioned my mother-in-law in my posts several times so far and the wonderful stock of frozen fruit and vegetables she owns. Thanks to her treasure, I've got to know lots of different foods and drinks in this beautiful country. She is also the one who introduced red currants to me and the currants I folded in these muffins in the photographs below were again from her freezer. I owe her a lot. 

Anyway, it was one of those muffin evenings once again yesterday and just before I started I remembered the currants in her treasure box and so rushed to the freezer. With a pinch of food color and lemon extract I ended up with these fantastic muffins.When Milou and her dad found them a bit less sugary, we fetched the nearest jar of plum jam and cut the muffins in half and spread a tablespoon of it over them. I like the idea and the taste, try it, you won't regret.


Ingredients

2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
1 cup granulated sugar
2 medium eggs
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons lemon extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon yellow powdered food color
1/2 cup red currants


Directions

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and lemon extract. Stir in milk. Combine the flour, baking powder, food color and salt; add to the creamed mixture just until blended. *

Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Top them with currants. Bake at 180-200° for 20 minutes or a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack. 




*You can also fold in currants before filling the cups.

2 comments:

  1. does not tell me when to add milk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reminding that. I edited the directions. By the way, add the milk after you beat in the eggs. You can also beat the eggs and sugar first until fluffy and then stir in the butter and milk together.

    ReplyDelete