Saturday, April 7, 2012

Simple Oat Bars AKA Flapjacks


I am reading one of those New York Time best sellers, The Sonoma Diet by Dr. Connie Guttersen, R.D., PH.D. This is the first book on any kind of diets I've been reading. Such books have always sounded unnecessary to me: Silly me assuming that every human being is born with enough knowledge on foods and drinks and for that reason lecturing on diets seemed useless to me.Well, I started to read this book not because I need a trimmer waist but because I've been suffering from some sort of stomach problems and trying to produce some solutions avoiding pills. 
One of my colleagues lent me the book so that it could inspire me with different ways of cooking with the foods which I've been already using. I'll start sharing bits and pieces from the book with you soon but for now I feel free to say that the foods and the diet itself are quite familiar with me.I wasn't amazed at the ideas introduced throughout the book because Turkish cuisine already includes almost all of the stuff mentioned in the book as part of the Mediterranean cuisine.Well, the last part I read in the book was about whole grains and I learnt a lot. I closed the book, headed for the kitchen, had a look at the cupboards and came up with these easy and super healthy oat bars aka flapjacks. Here comes the recipe. Feel free to vary the ingredients to what you have in the cupboard.Here comes the recipe. Feel free to vary the ingredients to what you have in the cupboard.



Ingredients
2 cup oats 
1/2 cup butter, melted
50 grams rice flour
3/4 cup apple syrup
Ground cinnamon
Ground ginger
Sesame seeds

Directions
1. Pre-heat oven to 185 degrees C.

2. Melt together butter and syrup. 

3. Stir in the oats, cinnamon, ginger, rice flour and sesame seeds until all the dry ingredients are well coated.

4. Line a baking tin with baking paper.

5. Tip the mixture into the tin. Press down firmly and spread it over the tin. Cut into squares or rectangles. 

6. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave until cold before removing from tin. 

7. Store in an airtight container. 

No comments:

Post a Comment