Sunday, October 2, 2011

Vegetable Pie with Cottage Cheese


I baked some Turkish pogaca rolls a few days ago and had some dough left in the end. There was a mixture of frozen vegetables in the freezer, I quickly remembered. The variety of the vegetables in the package made me smile: Carrots, scallions, cauliflower, potatoes, tomatoes, courgettes, celeries, cabbage, peas, green beans, leeks and parsley. And that big smile swept away all my worries about what to do with the dough. 

Anyway, the idea had already walked into my head: The dough, which could have ended up in the trash or the freezer, would easily turn into a pie crust. And it did. I spread the pastry on a lightly greased pan and folded the pastry edge upwards. The rest was easy enough to finish in 10 minutes. I stirred in some cottage cheese, cream and diced salami to the vegetable mixture. The vegetables got even nicer when combined with cheese. I seasoned it with salt, pepper and thyme, and then sprinkled with olive oil, and mixed it in. I poured it carefully into the pie dough and piled on it. I sprinkled the upward edge with poppy seed (for a change.)  Well, I baked it until the pastry was golden and the filling had set. 





For the pastry: The recipe is the same as I always use to make Turkish pogaca rolls. Have a look.


No comments:

Post a Comment