Monday, August 16, 2010

The Three Sisters




The Triplets of Belleville is an animated surreal adventure film by Sylvain Chomet. In their youth, the Belleville Sisters were bewitching music hall singers. Now, they are three eccentric elderly women in a bizarre jazz band and they determine the end of this adventure by their maneuvers to help Madame Souza rescue her cyclist grandson Champion from the French mafia. When I first saw the Belleville Sisters on the 15.4" monitor of our laptop, I murmured to myself 'Have I met them before?'. Actually I had.

They are Clotho, Lachesis and Atropos - the Fates. They are the three witches in myths who handle the thread of human life. Clotho spins it, Lachesis draws it out and Atrapos cuts it. Similarly, the Belleville Sisters are illustrated as three old batty women who have a word on the main character's adventure. They are some kind of modern witches with strange stage costumes from 1930s, crazy musical improvisation, weird daily habits including fondness for eating frogs, and their supernatural interference to rescue Champion. They handle the thread of the story.

Well, I bought these three crow sisters at a garage sale a long time ago. After watching the film I decided to picture them brooding over a thread ball. It took me quite some time to make them fit the right pondering position. 

No comments:

Post a Comment