Friday, March 9, 2012

Rice Pudding



Rice pudding is one of those desserts on my list of  'the irresistibles'. How can I refuse and say 'No' to a bowl of light and yummy rice pudding? I am pretty sure I am not the only Turkish young woman who has a particular tendency to make and eat rice pudding with pleasure. I grew up sprinkling cinnamon on cooled down or refrigerated rice puddings on the counter top like millions of other Turkish people. My mother let us do it, I remember, and I let Milou continue the tradition now. Well, although the counter top is filled with cups, glasses and bowls full of newly cooked rice pudding, it's never enough for the family. Once they are cold enough to taste, some of the cups just disappear, one by one. What a pleasure to see the whole family enjoying the rice pudding so much! Let me share this simple recipe with you.



Ingredients

50 g rice flour
1 cup sugar 
1/3 cup rice
2-3 cups water 
1 litre milk

Directions

1. Wash and drain rice.
2. Put the rice in a small saucepan and add water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes over low heat until the rice gets soft with the lid on. Stir occasionally. 
3. Mix sugar and rice flour in a bowl. 
4. Pour in milk to the simmering rice and add the sugar-rice flour mixture.
5. Bring to a boil stirring constantly. Simmer for another 15 minutes over medium heat. Do not forget to stir constantly. 
6. Remove from heat and keep stirring for another 5 minutes. Pour into serving cups and let it cool down. Refrigerate after 1-2 hours. Serve cold. 
7. Sprinkle with cinnamon if you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment