Sunday, March 4, 2012

Beans with sun-dried tomatoes and veal cubes


When the people around you, particularly the ones you live with, are pleased to eat beans at least once a week, you, as the person who cooks it get even more pleased. In other words, Emir loves eating beans and I love cooking beans. Every time I cook beans, I try my best to stay traditional and stick to the way my mother cooks it and her mother cooked it. Besides, there isn't much you might change in the recipe after all while cooking beans with meat. Even if I want to show off with my imaginative cooking style, I cannot add to or remove much from the recipe. All I could manage is to substitute some ingredients as much as the tradition lets me do so. Well, the last time I cooked some white beans, I remembered the sun-dried tomatoes I had brought from Turkey. I let them rest in warm water overnight and added them just before adding the beans. They worked while adding a slight sour flavour. The beans were well-cooked since they were soaked in water overnight. We liked it all. Here comes the recipe. 

Sun-dried tomatoes after soaked in water overnight

Ingredients

2 cups dry white beans
400 gr veal, chopped into cubes
2-3 medium onions
sun-dried tomatoes
4-6 tablespoons tomato sauce
2 cloves garlic, sliced
boiling water
vegetable oil
salt, pepper

Directions

1. Soak the dry beans overnight in water. 
2. Rinse and drain the beans and the tomatoes. Set them aside.
3. Chop the onions. 
4. Heat the oil in the pressure pan and add the onions and sauté them until translucent over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes more. 
5. Add the veal cubes. Stir them with the onions and garlic until browned, about 5-10 minutes. 
6. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce and the beans. Season with salt and pepper. 
7. Add boiling water until it covers the whole mixture. 
8. Close the lid and cook for 40-45 minutes over low heat. 
9. Serve hot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment