Thursday, February 11, 2016

Eggs and Pacifiers



Ferida is my second daughter but she has introduced me to lots of new and challenging adventures such as breastfeeding for one thing. I'm not going to write a post about how holy you feel after each nursing or the role of oxytocin in socio-emotional functioning in mothers. No. This post is about eggs and pacifiers which have become inseparable from our life for the last six months. 



Eggs
In Bosnia, when it is your baby's first visit to a place such as a friend or relative's house, the baby is given eggs as a gift. The custom, I assume, has some pagan roots dealing with the connotations of an egg: the full cycle of life, the symbol of earth, fertility, beginning of life, rebirth, renewal and hope. There could be other things that have made the egg a preferable gift. Eggs are always easily available and a valuable source of high-quality proteins. Well, Ferida has been visiting friends and relatives with me for some time now and imagine how many eggs we have received during our visits. It's pretty difficult to take the eggs home without breaking them though! 

Pacifiers
As a new-born and even before that we received lots of pacifiers as a gift for Ferida. Although it's not a custom to give pacifiers here, they hit number 1 on the chart of baby gifts we have received. However, Ferida, as a breastfed baby, has kept refusing them. I don't know exactly why but she has shown no interest in them at all and I haven't forced her to take them. This has definitely made life harder for me because I myself have to replace all the functions that a pacifier has. On the other hand, looking at the brighter side, I won't have to go through the pacifier weaning stage and invent tales about the pacifier fairy taking it away! Well, the thing is having so many pacifiers around the house and using none is now simply annoying. I'll definitely get rid of them at the next swap market. 

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations for becoming a mother for the second time! She has a beautiful name.. My latest nephew is also called 'Feriha'. My sons also never liked pacifiers. Oh well! Wishing you best of luck ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bike! How about bottles? Any problems with them or getting used to them? Ferida hasn't used one single bottle yet either. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

      Delete
    2. I exclusively breastfed my babies and did not even try bottle feeding. I once tried to pump but it took ages to get decent supply :P so I am not much of help about bottle feeding sorry..

      Delete
  2. Dear Mehtap,
    Please tell Ferida (now that she is 'almost' a grown up girl) she should not prevent you from writing this lovely blog regularly... My best wishes to you both...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Pathobach,
      Thank you for this kind and polite reminder. Ferida and I are sending our best wishes to you too!

      Delete